On this page, you will find links and resources relating to retirement communities.
Upcoming ARCO Events
ARCO Annual Conference
- 10 and 11 May in London – see the conference website for more information
Marketing & Sales Workshops
Operational Management Workshops
Technical & Development Forums
Affiliate Network Briefings
- 5 April in London
- 19 July
- 12 October (includes AGM and Assembly)
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information on upcoming ARCO events.
CASE STUDY: IRIS
Living in a retirement village has not only changed Iris’ life, it has changed her as a person too. “I have never been in contact with so many people socially as I am now,” she said.
CASE STUDY: DAVID AND TERESA
“We have plenty of visitors and every one of them has been knocked out by this place,” said Teresa. “It’s the perfect place for a new start. You can’t help but make friends, it happens automatically.”
CASE STUDY: Richard
Richard believes it is important to keep older people active. “I definitely feel better for it. I know I do,” he says.
View more Case Studies
- What is a Retirement Community? (pdf): this brochure provides an introduction to retirement communities, including information on what a retirement community is, what the costs of living in a retirement community may be, as well as a more general overview of the sector itself.
- ARCO’s Submission to the Draft Care and Support Bill Committee.
- ARCO and HousingLIN’s joint Technical Brief on Mixed Tenure in Extra Care Housing.
- Tetlow King have produced a summary of the recent changes concerning older people’s housing in the NPPG (National Planing Policy Guidance) for ARCO: NPPG summary by Tetlow King.
- ARCO’s consultation response to the Draft Care Act Guidance.
- A technical brief from ARCO and the Housing LIN on the key legal framework for retirement communities (in association with Trowers & Hamlins). This document outlines the key legal and regulatory areas applicable to land acquisition, development and operation of retirement communities: ARCO Housing LIN Legal framework for retirement communities.
- ARCO’s DOL consultation response.
- ARCO’s Annual Review 2015.
- ARCO’s Annual review 2016.
- Extra care housing – where do residents come from? This research report by Carterwood (in association with ARCO and its members) provides an overview of moving distances into retirement communities. It shows that there is strong local demand, with more than half of all residents coming from within a 5 mile radius.
- Law Commissioner Stephen Lewis’ speech at the public launch of ARCO’s Consumer Code on 2 November 2015.
- Trowers & Hamlins (ARCO’s Corporate Supporter) has produced a handy briefing note on The Consumer Rights Act 2015.
- Trowers & Hamlins has also produced a briefing note on Event Fees, presenting an analysis of the Law Commission consultation paper.
- Skills for Care, the workforce development body for social care employers in England, has a variety of useful links, events, and information about developing the skills and knowledge of your staff.
- Trowers & Hamlins have produced an assessment of the Law Commission’s final report.