Governance and Executive Team
Richard Davis was unanimously elected as ARCO’s new Chair in March 2014.
Richard has been CEO of LifeCare Residences (LCR) Group since January 2011 and prior to that was CEO of LCR New Zealand business since establishing it in 2007. Prior to LCR Richard had 7 years at Metlifecare (NZSE) as Director of Sales & Marketing. Metlifecare had 15 retirement villages with 2,232 retirement apartments providing care for 2,850 residents. LCR has 5 operational retirement communities in New Zealand and the United Kingdom including London’s first luxury retirement community in Battersea.
Jane was unanimously elected as ARCO’s new Vice-Chair in June 2015.
Jane joined Anchor in 1999 from BUPA, which had acquired Care First plc where she was Personnel Director. She was appointed Chief Executive of Anchor on 9 March 2010. She previously held HR and governance roles with Bromford Housing Group and Midlands Electricity plc. Jane is a Trustee of The Silverline, a helpline for older people and a Non-Executive Director of Dignity plc. Jane is also a Board member of Care England, the largest representative body for providers of adult social care and a Board member of the National Housing Federation which represents housing associations in England. In 2014 Jane became a Commissioner on the review of the long term care sector Chaired by Paul Burstow MP. Jane is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and a Member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development. She was awarded a CBE in the 2013 New Year Honours for services to older people.
As Executive Director, Michael is in charge of overseeing the delivery of ARCO’s strategy on a day-to-day basis. Michael has worked with ARCO since its formation in 2012 and successfully led Cordis Bright’s work on providing the ARCO Secretariat until July 2013, and was appointed as ARCO’s first Executive Director in August 2013.
Michael was a public sector consultant for 6 years, having previously worked as a journalist. He holds a BA in Social and Political Sciences from Cambridge University, and an MSc in Comparative Social Policy from Oxford University.
Maia joined ARCO as Policy & External Communications Manager in September 2015. Her role involves keeping abreast of health, housing, and social care policy and media developments, formulating and conveying ARCO’s policy positions to policymakers and stakeholders, and communicating key messages to consumers and professional audiences.
Prior to working at ARCO, Maia was Senior Researcher at the leading local government think tank NLGN. Before that she worked in a public sector consultancy and at charities including Stonewall and 4Children. Maia holds a first class degree in History from Cambridge University, and an MSc in Social Policy Research from LSE.
Rachael joined ARCO as a Policy & Events Assistant in March 2017. Her role includes helping organise ARCO’s events and the conference, and assisting with ARCO’s policy work.
Previously, Rachael completed her PhD in History at the University of Warwick. She also holds a degree and MA from the University of York. She has worked in the museum, retail and education sectors.
ARCO is governed by a Board of Directors, with a Steering Group of six Directors overseeing ARCO’s day to day activities. The current ARCO Directors are:
- Jane Ashcroft | Chief Executive, Anchor Trust (member of the Steering Group and Vice-Chair of ARCO)
- Adrian Bagg | Group Chief Executive, MHA (member of the Steering Group)
- Kevin Beirne | Group Director of Housing Care and Support, One Housing (member of the Steering Group)
- Bob Bessell | Chairman, Retirement Security (member of the Steering Group)
- Tom Brown | Regional Director: Housing and Support, Hanover
- Ruth Cooke | Chief Executive, Midland Heart
- Richard Davis | Chief Executive, | LifeCare Residences (member of the Steering Group and Chair of ARCO)
- Duncan Walker | Director, Renaissance Villages
- Paul Jackson | Director Development Sales and Marketing, Richmond Villages
- Mick Laverty | Chief Executive, ExtraCare Charitable Trust
- Sara Livadeas | Strategy Director, The Orders of St John Care Trust
- Peter Martin | Development and Commercial Manager, Enterprise Retirement Living
- Bruce Moore | Chief Executive, Housing & Care 21
- Zara Ross | Chief Executive, BEN
- Nick Sanderson | Chief Executive, Audley (member of the Steering Group)
- Lawrence Santcross | Care and Support Director, Genesis
- Amar Sheikh | Chief Executive, Berkeley Healthcare
- Nigel Welby | Executive Chairman, Retirement Villages Group
- Rob Whetton | Head of Finance, St Monica Trust
As Operations Manager, Shandi oversees much of ARCO’s day to day business. This includes managing membership applications and registrations, liaising with members and external consultants on ARCO’s Standards and Compliance Framework, and organising ARCO events. Shandi has worked with ARCO almost since its inception, providing support at Cordis Bright in 2012-2013, and joining the Executive Team in August 2014.
Shandi has worked across health, social care, and education in the UK and abroad. She holds a BA in Psychology from the University of Calgary and an MSSc in Social Psychology from the University of Helsinki.
Sarah joined ARCO in March 2016. She assists with both Operational and Policy issues, helping primarily to organise ARCO’s events and providing research on government policies that affect the retirement community sector.
Previously Sarah worked in corporate communications and has extensive experience in parliamentary monitoring, event and stakeholder management. Her previous roles included administering the secretariats of an all-party parliamentary group and a nuclear industry interest group. She graduated from the University of Newcastle upon Tyne with a degree in politics and Greek and Roman culture.